Bricklayer CSCS Card

If you work in the bricklaying industry and have been asked to get a CSCS card for bricklaying, you’re probably feeling puzzled about what it is and why you need one. In use across the UK construction industry, you can’t get on a UK building site without one.

CSCS cards provide robust proof of your ability to carry out your role safely. They are available for bricklaying staff working at all levels, spanning labourers to apprentices and senior managers.

From safeguarding to qualifications, CSCS cards are a great form of compliance. You’ll find lots of trades beyond construction embracing them as a way to keep the workforce safe and ensure employees are able to carry out projects on building sites.

Here’s all you need to know about CSCS cards for bricklaying and how to get one.

What is a bricklayer CSCS card?

CSCS cards are issued by the Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS). The scheme operates under the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB). The CITB have a remit to improve safety rates across the construction industry and they work in partnership with the UK government.

How to get a CSCS card for bricklaying

  • Head to the CSCS website and enter your role or qualifications into the CSCS card finder tool to discover which card you qualify for. Each card has its own criteria and you will need to provide evidence that you meet the criteria when you apply for the card. As you increase your skills, you can move up to the next card level when you renew.
  • Once you know which card you want, you will need to book the test which is the first part of your application. The CSCS test is an obligatory test called a CITB Health, Safety and Environment test. There are online practice tests you can take before you do the test to help you pass first-time. You will need to pay £19.50 to take the test.
  • The test lasts for 45 minutes, with 50 questions about the health and safety considerations involved in carrying out your work. There are different levels of tests to match the various levels of cards.
  • When you have passed your CITB test you can apply for your CSCS card. Apply online or over the phone by calling: 0344 994 4777, Monday to Friday. You will need to pay £30 for your new card during your application and provide scanned copies of qualifications plus other ID.
  • Your card will arrive within 5, sometimes 10 working days but a virtual version can be downloaded from the My CSCS app straightaway. Most cards last for 5 years.

Popular CSCS cards for bricklayers

CSCS Labourer CardGreen CSCS cards

Green CSCS cards are awarded to labourers. These cards cannot be renewed but you can apply for a new one when it expires.

You may need one of the following to apply for a green CSCS card. Enter your details into the card finder tool to check what you need to qualify.

  • RQF Level 1/SCQF Level 4 for industry-relevant health and safety
  • An SCQF Level 5 REHIS Certificate for industry-relevant health and safety
  • NOCN/CSkills Awards unit on industry-relevant health and safety

Blue CSCS card for bricklayers

Blue CSCS cards are given to skilled workers.

You will need an NVQ/ SVQ Level 2 or a nationally recognised apprenticeship in a directly related subject.

Gold CSCS card for bricklayers

Gold CSCS cards are awarded to supervisors and those with specialist industry skills.

You will need one of the following to apply:

  • NVQ/ SVQ Level 3 for Occupational Work Supervision or a related subject at a supervisory or technical level


  • an NVQ/ SVQ Level 4 for a related subject at a supervisory or technical level.

Black or White CSCS card for bricklayers

Black and white bricklayer CSCS cards are given to those working in a managerial role.

For a black CSCS card you will need:

  • NVQ or SVQ Level 4 in industry management
  • SVQ Level 4 in a technical industry-related subject
  • NVQ or SVQ Level 5,6 or 7 in industry management or a technical industry-related subject

For a white CSCS card you will need:

  • Degree
  • HND
  • HNC
  • CIOB certificate
  • NEBOSH diploma


For a Professionally Qualified Person Card you will need to be a competence assessed member of a CSCS-approved professional body. When you apply for the card, you will be asked to provide multiple documents to show you are currently a paying member.

Other cards

There are other CSCS cards for trainee bricklayers, apprentice bricklayers, those on placement and more.